More than 1.5 million people watched The Late Late Toy Show on RTÉ One this weekend, cementing the show’s place as the Irish television event of the year and making it the most-watched programme on Irish television for 2018.

The Greatest Showman themed show, hosted by Ryan Tubridy, was watched by an average audience of over 1.3 million live on the night, a 74 per cent share of the audience watching television at the time.

It also represented an 89 per cent share of the Children watching TV at that time though what the other 11 per cent might have been watching is anyone’s guess.

A further 141,700 viewers watched recordings of the show on Saturday and 51,9000 viewers did the same on Sunday.

In addition, 113,000 watched the repeat viewing on RTÉ One on Saturday.

The show had a reach on RTÉ One of over 1.8 million viewers who tuned in for a minute or more of the broadcast on Friday night and reached 1.9 million over the weekend.

On RTÉ Player the show had record numbers, with 116,000 live streams, up 33% on last year, and over 100,000 watching on catch-up.

The show was watched in over 100 countries outside of Ireland with viewers logging on across the globe including Myanmar, Burundi, Haiti and Mongolia.

This year’s show was celebrated on social media with #LateLateToyShow trending worldwide on Twitter on Friday night and across the weekend. The clips of Michael from Killarney meeting Davy Fitzgerald young Scott from Athlone who donated bone marrow to his cousin Grace were watched over a million times between Facebook and Twitter.

Overall, Late Late Toy Show 2018 videos on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube have had over 1.5 million views to date.

“These are phenomenal viewing figures across television and Player for what has become one of the biggest dates of the year in the RTÉ calendar,” said RTÉ Director of Audiences, Channels and Marketing, Adrian Lynch.

“This year’s show did not disappoint, and this is down to the tireless work of the entire Toy Show team who blew it out of the water.”

The numbers will also be music to the ears of Renault who sponsored the show at a key pre-sales period for 191 regitration cars.

 

Get Connected to the Business of Entertainment in Ireland by joining us as a Member and enjoy the many benefits of a Daily News Digest, keynote events throughout the year where we share and learn together and the opportunity to have us tell your story.   Contact us by email for more information

Are you involved with an initiative that deserves to have its story told to our influential readership in the sponsorship, arts and entertainment sector? Send your news to us today.